Friday 20 March 2009

Visiting the Big Smoke

I have been really sick this week. Bacteria Infection of the intestines. Caused by contaminated food or water. Think I have located the source, so will deal with that when I can sit upright for 10 minutes (on trail now).

Being sick makes me a bit emotional, especially when I have watched "the Changling" and "secret life of Bees" today. But I think there's more to it than that.

On Sunday, I found out the kids had a new cousin. Where did we find this out? Facebook - where else do you receive family news? When I told hubs, he did know, he has been away since his birthday last week (10 days now), and for some reason he turned on his phone with the Aus sim card - there was a text message to tell him. So I guess we weren't left in the dark after all. But it sure felt like it.

Still, it reinforces how all of our experiences here have been in total isolation of everyone we have ever known while living in Australia.

Not one single friend or relative from Australia has made the trek over here to stay with us. And YES, there have been a few opportunities, although none taken. Yes, we have invited friends and family - but the invites aren't taken seriously. It's not like we don't have a spare room. It's not like I don't have time to show anyone around, my job is the most flexible it has ever been in my entire life. It's not like we wouldn't absolutely love it. In fact, we thought some people were coming and the kids had an itinerary of what they could do with them.

And yes - we seem to be alone with this. Other friends have their 75 year old "mum, dad, aunt, sister, brother etc, with all manner of health issues, from Sth Africa, Australia, US, England, Belgium etc"

It's just - no one we know wants to come here. Plain and simple.

The contract is up at the end of the year. We want to stay because we love it. But given the economic crisis, that may not be an option. So at the end of the year, if we have to move back to Aus, a whole 3 years would have passed and not one single relative or friend from the past will have any idea about any of it. Not a single clue.

Yes, we have made fantastic friends while we are here. But that's just it isn't it. We are surrounded by adventurous and socially (and charity active) active people here. Everyone here has taken a risk, gone out on a limb, made a massive change in their life and are taking opportunities whilst giving up some things at the same time. To be part of our future, surely people from our past have to know something about the little 3 years known as the "jakarta years".

Yes, as I said - feeling a bit emotional at the moment. But so what. This has been a life changing experience for us. Our kids will never be the typical - not ever. They are more world wise now at 5, 7 and 10 than what I was at 18 (or probably 30 for that manner).

Anyway, everyone needs to say what's on their mind sometimes, and this needed to be said.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I have been a lurker of your blog since I arrived here in Jakarta in August (sorry - it wasn't purposefully!), but I have to agree with how you are feeling! Before I arrived here, even though I have spent my whole life as an expat, Jakarta would never have been on my list of places to visit AT ALL! But since arriving - oh my goodness - there's something about it which just grabs your soul. It is a wonderful place! I do hope your family and friends manage to visit before it's too late.